You can update your theme via OneClick Auto Upgrade, FTP or WordPress theme uploader.
Before updating your theme, please make sure you have a backup of your site. BackupWordPress or Duplicator is a useful plugin to help you do this. To learn more about backing up your WordPress website please see the Codex here: WordPress Backups
Note: We recommend using a child theme if you are going to customize your theme files, as this will make it easier to update your parent theme.
via Auto Upgrader
Envato WordPress Toolkit
Unlike most other free WordPress plugins, the toolkit isn’t available in the WordPress Plugin Repository. You’ll need to go to GitHub to download the plugin.
Download the Envato WordPress Toolkit at GitHub.
After you’ve downloaded the plugin (by clicking the “Download ZIP” click on the right-hand side of the page), there are a few steps to go through to get the plugin up and running.
1. API Key
You will need to generate an API key to link your WordPress site to your Themeforest account.
Login to Themeforest, go to your dashboard and click on “My Settings.” The API Keys screen allows you to generate a free API key.
Generate a free API key on the Themeforest website.
2. Install Envato WordPress Toolkit Plugin
Install and activate the toolkit plugin. A new menu item, “Envato Toolkit,” will appear in the admin sidebar. Click on the sidebar link and enter your marketplace username and secret API key. Click “Save Settings.”
All of your theme purchases will now appear on this page after it refreshes.
3. Theme Updates
The plugin will now alert you to theme updates – so long as you check the toolkit settings regularly.
Click on “install automatically” beside each of your themes to automatically update them.
The toolkit settings page also allows you to install themes that you haven’t already uploaded to your site, delete ones you don’t use and view version details. You can also set up theme backups.
It’s a fairly simple plugin, but also a helpful one.
Envato WordPress Toolkit was released in 2012 and hasn’t changed all that much since. It’s yet to have its own auto-updater, so hopefully this is a feature the folks at Envato will add soon.
Always Use a Child Theme
Updating your themes shouldn’t affect any customizations to your website, so long as you’re using a child theme. Child theme is included in the Package.
via WordPress Theme
- Download the latest version of the theme from ThemeForest account by going to Downloads tab.
- Navigate to Appearance → Themes in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Click the Add New button at the top of the page and go for the Upload Themes option.
- For the file upload, pick Theme Files / theme.zip in the theme package downloaded from ThemeForest and click Install Now.
- Click Activate once the upload has finished and you are ready for the next steps.
You can manually update your theme files via FTP if you are an advanced user.
- Log into your hosting space via a FTP software like FileZilla.
- Go to wp-content → themes location and backup your theme folder by saving it to your computer, or you can choose to simply delete it, or you can rename it. Your content will not be lost.
- Retrieve the ZIP file from your new ThemeForest download and extract the file.
- Then simply drag and drop the new theme folder into wp-content → themes location using FTP application. Choose to “Replace” the current one if you did not delete it or rename it.